Sershul Monastery is the largest Gelugpa Monastery in the Kham region and has the only Buddhist Monastic University in the Kham region that is qualified to teach and bestow the highest Tibetan Buddhist Geshe degree.
Home to 1300 Monks, Sershul Monastery is the largest Gelug Monastery in Kham, and the religious center of Sêrxü County—the highest, largest, poorest, coldest, and most remote county in Sichuan Province.
The largest temple, which is more than 300 years old, contains two great Chanting halls devoted to Je Tsongkhapa, founder of the Gelug Order. It also contains many precious Relics including one of Je Tsongkhapa's teeth preserved within a sacred Chorten (Stupa) in the upper gallery.
Sershul Monastery was established in 1701 and to date has kept a collection of rare sacred Buddhist objects, like the wooden block and hammer used during the initiation and penance ceremonies of Monks at the Nalanda University in India at the Time of Gautama Buddha – some of the objects having a history of more than 2,000 years.