The Ten Non-Virtuous Actions and Their Results
We constantly do all ten non-virtues.
The understanding of the relationship between the ten non-virtues and the resulting quality of your life should run your life, based on a rational analysis of your current sufferings, what caused them, and how to stop them in the future.
To get the full bad karma from these ten misdeeds, you must be doing them intentionally, to the point of completion, with clear understanding of the error, and with harmful thoughts in your mind (the strength of the result depends on all four factors being present).
and that experiencing the various results listed below is a 'Ripened Consequence."'
Finally, 'Environmental Consequences' relate to the land and the surroundings in which you live.
The following presentation defines the misdeed, and for each misdeed lists the "consistent result" (the personal consequence you experience because you have done that specific misdeed), and the "environmental result" (the characteristics you perceive in your environment because you have done the misdeed).
Personal Result: You do not have enough to live on or to make ends meet; and what you do have is all just common property with others.
Personal Result: The people who work around you are "inconsistent" (unreliable); and you find yourself having a lot of competition for your partner.
4. Lying, giving someone else a wrong impression about what you have seen, believe, or know; unless it would save someone's life or prevent real suffering. If you lie and get something, the benefit comes from past good deeds, not from the lie.
Environmental Result: Your work in cooperation with others fails to prosper and people around you do not work well together; everyone generally is cheating one another and is afraid, and there are many things to be afraid of.
5. Divisive Talk, splitting people up with your talk; saying things to alienate or separate two different people, (regardless of whether or not your words are true); causing one person to like another person less; it is usually subtle, like in your tone of voice.
Environmental Result: The ground you live in is split up, uneven, covered with crags and gullies, highs and lows, so travel is difficult and you are always afraid and there are many things to be afraid of.
6. Harsh Talk, with bad intent and effect; it includes sarcastic "nice" words and swearing. Personal Result: You hear many unpleasant things, you hear things as bad sounds; and when others talk to you it always seems to you as if they want to start a fight.
Environmental Result: The ground where you live is covered with obstacles like fallen tree trunks, thorns, stones, sharp broken glass; it is rough, dreary, no streams or water springs; the ground is parched and poisoned, burning hot and threatening; there are many things to fear.
7. Idle Talk, meaningless chatter, criticism, disputes, useless joking, whining, complaining, speaking out of the motive of attachment or craving; gossiping about politics, sports, etc., or about people engaged in wrong livelihood; reciting prayers while not thinking about their meaning.
Gossiping about others' values or spiritual practice. Dharma is sacred and should be discussed in holy private whispers on special nights, not casually - talk in hushed tones, very beautiful sacred speech, talk about inspiring things.
Environmental Result: Fruits refuse to grow, or grow at the wrong times, seem ripe when they are not, have frail roots; there are no leisure places around like parks, or pools of cool water; many things around make you afraid.
It comes in five stages: you are attached to your own possessions, desire to accumulate more than you have, discover another's possessions, like to make them your own, and the desire becomes unmanageable and you "lose shame" (then you act).
Personal Result: Your personality is dominated by desire; and you are never satisfied with what you have. Environmental Result: Every good thing you manage to find starts to get worse, decrease as days, months, and seasons pass.
9. Ill-Will, is to wish bad things upon others; being pleased when others fail or have misfortune; competitiveness, like "Oh, how did they mess up? Tell me more..." not feeling as bad for an unfortunate person as you would feel for yourself if you were them.
Personal Result: Your personality is dominated by anger; you are always finding yourself without help, or never find the help you need; and you are always hurting others, or always being hurt by others.
Environmental Result: You live in a world of chaos, diseases spread, evil is everywhere, plague, conflict, fear of harm from the military, dangerous animals, you are surrounded by harmful spirits, thieves or muggers, etc.
Environmental Result: You live in a world where the single highest source of happiness is steadily disappearing from the earth; where people think that unclean and suffering things are actually nice and happy; where there is no place to go, no one to help you, nothing to protect you.
1. Nam Min
2. Gyu Tun
3. Consistent Consistent karmic result, Je Tsongkhapa says that great lamas of our lineage have described another kind of consistent cause which is the tendency to do the same misdeed over and over again in the future, to be attracted to doing the misdeed. It means attraction toward ingrained habits.
There is no way to fundamentally change the external world around you; rather, you should have intelligent self-interest and eliminate bad karma in order to change what you don't like about your own experience.