Galden Jampaling Monastery
Chamdo was visited by Tsongkhapa in 1373 who suggested that a Monastery be built there. Galden Jampaling Monastery was constructed between 1436 and 1444 by a Disciple of Tsongkhapa, Jansem Sherab Zangpo. It is also known as the Changbalin or Qiangbalin Si Monastery. At its height it contained five main temples and housed some 2,500 Monks. According to tradition there were 3000 Monks with Jangsem Sherab Zangpo when establishing the Monastery, and some more than 2000 at the beginning of the 19th century.It was destroyed in 1912 but the main hall (which was used as a prison) and two other buildings survived, and it was rebuilt in 1917 after the Tibetan army retook Chamdo. It now houses about 800 Monks.