Amitabha purifcation visualization
1. Visualize yourself sitting inside a golden, closed lotus. The top of the lotus is slightly open and is about one foot or so over your head.
2. A smaller golden lotus flower sits atop your head. Inside the lotus is a Cintamani, a Wish-Fulfilling Pearl or “Mani-Pearl.”
3. As you silently chant Amitabha Buddha’s name, visualize Amitabha descending from the heavens through the top of the closed golden lotus and into the Mani-Pearl, which is now filled with Amitabha’s purplish-golden light.
4. As you continue to chant the name, Amitabha descends through the bottom of the pearl and lotus into your head. The Buddha stands on a golden lotus flower located at about the level of the throat, the top of the Buddha’s head touches the inside of the top of your own head.
5. As you continue to chant the name, Amitabha’s golden light fills this entire area; it permeates and purifies your entire brain and all the thoughts within it; it permeates and purifies, in like manner, your eyes (sense of sight), ears (sense of hearing), nose and sinus area (sense of smell), tongue and mouth (sense of taste), and the skin of your body (sense of touch).
6. The figure of Amitabha now dissolves into the seated figure of Bodhisattva Great Strength (Mahasthamaprapta). This Bodhisattva’s light is a brilliant red which fills the head and covers the skin. You then ask this Bodhisattva to be the guardian of your senses while sitting on the golden lotus.
7. As you once again to chant Amitabha’s name, the figure of Amitabha now descends from the bottom of Bodhisattva Great Strength’s golden lotus flower to reside in your heart. Amitabha stands on a golden lotus flower located at about the solar plexus; the top of Amitabha’s head touches the bottom of Bodhisattva Great Strength’s golden lotus.
8. As you continue to chant the name, Amitabha’s purplish-golden light fills the entire heart area, purifying all of your emotional energies.
9. The figure of Amitabha now dissolves into the seated figure of Bodhisattva Kuan-Yin, whose light is a brilliant blue. You then ask this Bodhisattva to be the guardian of your emotions while sitting on the golden lotus.
10. As you begin again to chant Amitabha’s name, the figure of Amitabha now descends from the bottom of Bodhisattva Kuan-Yin’s lotus flower to reside in the Tan-T’ien, just below the navel. Amitabha stands on a golden lotus located at the base of the tailbone. The top of Amitabha’s head touches the bottom of Bodhisattva Kuan-Yin’s golden lotus.
11. As you continue to chant the name, Amitabha’s purplish-golden light fills this entire area; it purifies your Seat of Wisdom as well as any energies emanating from it. You then ask Amitabha Buddha to be the guardian of your True Mind. 12. As you resume chanting the name, a liquid golden radiance begins to fill your body as if it were a hollow shell. The liquid golden radiance starts at the tailbone and rises all the way to the top of the head, filling the body as water fills a glass into which it is poured. The liquid golden radiance goes through the top of the head to fill up the Mani-Pearl sitting on its lotus.
13. Hovering in mid-air, just above the Mani-Pearl and below the top of the closed lotus in which you are sitting, visualize an eight-spoked Dharma wheel. The wheel is parallel to the ground, as if it were sitting on the floor. Each spoke of the wheel points in one of the four primary and four secondary directions (north is ahead of you, south is behind you, etc.)
14. The liquid golden radiance enters the center of the Dharma wheel, fills it up, then begins to pour from the ends of the spokes. This liquid golden radiance spills to the bottom then begins to fill up the large golden lotus in which you are seated. The action of this liquid golden radiance is powered by your chanting of Amitabha’s name.
15. When the liquid golden radiance finally fills the large golden lotus to the very top, the lotus begins to expand outward in all directions and the lotus now begins to open. When it is completely open you are sitting in a large, opened golden lotus in the midst of a globe of liquid golden radiance. Amitabha Buddha (purple) still sits at your base, Bodhisattva Kuan-Yin (blue) at your heart, Bodhisattva Great Strength (red) at your head, the lotus with its Mani-Pearl are on top of your head, and the Dharma wheel hovers above the lotus and pearl. You continue to chant Amitabha’s name.
16. Now the figure of Amitabha at your base begins to grow straight upward, absorbing Bodhisattva Kuan-Yin, Bodhisattva Great Strength, the Mani-Pearl and the Dharma wheel. All that remains is Amitabha Buddha/you in the midst of a large golden lotus. Continue to chant the Buddha’s name until there is no difference between you and Amitabha Buddha.
17. There is no need to “close” this visualization. The object is to strengthen your powers of visualization so that the vision of Amitabha Buddha is always with you.